Sunday 3 May 2009

The Crusade Against Black Undercoat...


....will be led by this rather splendid Essex Bishop. I've never really been keen on Essex figures (not even back when they were fashionable) - they are decent, solid wargaming miniatures but they lack the drama and realistic human proportions that i find most appealing. That said, the (unknown) artist that created this vignette has done such a good job that i am willing to overlook the huge heads. I like it so much i found myself browsing the Essex Crusades range the other day...oh dear....must focus....focus.....[sadly i think for me Focus will never be more than a dodgy Dutch prog band].

BTW, is it just me, or does the standard bearer scream 'Monty Python'....?

4 comments:

Stryker said...

That's definitely John Cleese on the right - now if you just swopped the horse for a couple of half coconuts we're away...

Ian

Vintage Wargaming said...

Bring forth the holy hand grenade of Antioch...

Anonymous said...

Did you also manage to get the "knights who say-NI!". And as for swallows (African or European?) I do not know of any manufacturer!

"Son of a silly person" Matt

DC said...

Gents,

After extensive research i have come to the conclusion that the standard bearer has to be Terry Jones (it's the 'tache). The other guy on foot reminds me of Gilliam -but then so do most Essex figures..

I'll have to check the Willie range for a convincing Cleese (thin and gangly - did Cleese model for Ted Suren?).

cheers.